Greece - Athens and the Mainland DK Eyewitness Travel Guide - Görögország - Athén és a szárazföld útikönyv
World-class museums and archaeological sites may be the first things that come to mind when you think of Greece, but the country is home to both old and new. Take Europe's oldest city, for example: Athens has a youthful vibe and buzzing nightlife, where upmarket restaurants stand alongside traditional grill eateries and old-school ouzeris jostle with the trendy cocktail bars of up-and-coming urban neighbourhoods. Meanwhile Thessaloniki, Greece's second city, seduces visitors with its array of Byzantine churches and vibrant contemporary art scene.
But it's not all about the cities. Kissed by three seas and stretching from the barren peaks of the northern Pindos to the sunny vineyards of Attica and the Peloponnese, the rural landscapes of mainland Greece are stunningly diverse. Outdoor adventurers can trek the dramatic Víkos and Loúsios gorges and climb the craggy peaks of Mount Olympos. Whether you want to watch the sun sink behind the marble columns of the Parthenon in Athens, visit iconic archaeological sites such as Delphi and Olympia, or simply soak up the sun on the sandy beaches of Halkidikí, your DK Eyewitness travel guide makes sure you experience all that mainland Greece has to offer. Our newly updated guide brings Athens and the mainland to life, transporting you there like no other travel guide does with expert-led insights, trusted travel advice, detailed breakdowns of all the must-see sights, photographs on practically every page, and our hand-drawn illustrations which place you inside the region's iconic buildings and neighbourhoods. We've also worked hard to make sure our information is as up-to-date as possible following the COVID-19 outbreak. DK Eyewitness Greece: Athens and the Mainland is your ticket to the trip of a lifetime.
Inside DK Eyewitness Greece: Athens and the Mainland you will find:
- A fully-illustrated top experiences guide: our expert pick of Athens and the mainland's must-sees and hidden gems
- Accessible itineraries to make the most out of each and every day
- Expert advice: honest recommendations for getting around safely, when to visit each sight, what to do before you visit, and how to save time and money
- Colour-coded chapters to every part of mainland Greece, from Athens to the Peloponnese
- Practical tips: the best places to eat, drink, shop and stay in Washington DC
- A pull-out map to help you navigate Athens easily and confidently
- Covers: Central Athens North, Central Athens South, Around Athens, The Peloponnese, Central and Western Greece, and Northern Greece